Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Your Surprise Birthday

My Dearest Abby,

Before I forget all the little details about your birth day and the events leading up to it, I wanted to put it all down in writing. 

  The day we found out we were pregnant was one of the happiest days in our lives.  God had answered our prayers, and we began to prepare for your arrival.

On January 28th we had our shower at Daddy's work where you once again received many gifts that were much appreciated.  This is also the last pictures taken of me pregnant.

Later that night your Nana arrived to help me start going through all you had received.  We created a plan and tackled Babies R Us, Target, Kohls, Ross and Wal-Mart Friday night and all day Saturday.  We were some serious shoppers and bought everything I needed for you.  We removed all the tags, washed your clothes, organized your nursery, packed our bags for the hospital, assembled everything that needed it, and found a spot for it all.  Looking back I'm convinced that this is what put me into labor.  You knew we had it all ready for you and you were ready to make your entrance.  

Sunday night your Daddy had just finished putting together your swing and about an hour later at 7:30pm I started to cramp and have what I thought were braxton hicks contractions.  I laid down, drank more water, took a hot bath, and tried everything that had worked in the past to get them to stop.  When they didn't I started to get concerned and even called work to ask if they thought I was in labor.  I was told that if it didn't get better in a couple of hours to go ahead and come on in.  So at that point your Daddy pulled out the What to Expect When Your Expecting book and started reading the chapter on labor.  I guess he thought he would get a crash course in case we were about to do the real thing!  :)  We were down to go to a childbirth class the following Saturday.

At around 11:00pm the cramping began to get worse so I finally decided that yes, I needed to go to the hospital.  Daddy threw all our bags in the car and off we went.  When I got there around 11:30pm Elaine hooked me up to the monitor and sure enough I was contracting every 2-3 minutes.  When she checked me I was 1 cm and 90% effaced.  It was a Sunday night so Dr Conrad had Dr Miller on call for him.  Elaine called her and she decided to keep me for a couple of hours for monitoring.  When I didn't stop contracting we decided to call Dr Conrad first thing in the morning.  I laid there in bed wide awake all night while your Daddy tried to sleep.  I just couldn't believe you were coming.  And the contractions were terrible!  My hat is off to all women that go choose to go natural.  It is definitely not for me!


 Around 9:00am Dr Conrad came in.  He checked me and somehow I was still just 1 cm but was now 95% effaced and +1 station.  You were determined to come, and he said that there had to be a reason you were ready to be here at 36 weeks and 6 days.  So he ordered to begin augmenting my contractions with Pitocin to help speed up the process.  And I got an epidural which was heavenly!  I couldn't feel a thing and it was wonderful!!!

Putting on make up after the epidural!  :)

Throughout the day Donna aka MeeMaw performed her famous "wedge" on me.  Its where she would position me every hour on my side with a wedge made out of blankets and pillows.  I totally believe it works as I was only in 6 hours of active labor.  I couldn't have done it without her and Mary my labor nurse.  They were the greatest!


 At 6:10pm Dr Conrad arrives for delivery.



  And 12 minutes later at 6:22pm that night you finally arrived at 6 pounds 14 ounces and 19 inches long.



 When I saw your face I immediately cried tears of love and joy.  They wouldn't stop as my heart filled with a love I had never felt.  At last, my precious daughter was in my arms looking up at me with your big blue eyes.  The healthy baby I had been praying for was just perfect, and I could not take my eyes off of you.


We all were just so happy you were here!  It was definitely a God experience as your Aunt Courtney best described it.


 My heart just overflows with thankfulness.  You surprised us 3 weeks early, but we are so glad you are here.  Life is so much sweeter with you in it.

You with Mary my labor nurse

You with Dr Conrad
Your crib beautifully decorated by Stewart
Nana and Grammy with your wreath made by Linda aka Gram
Our room decorated by my coworkers


4 comments:

  1. I love when people write out their birth stories! Your daughter is so cute! Hope to hear all about life with a newborn... I am sure its an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the story of Abby's birth and the pictures.

    Especially loved the surprise early arrival.
    Was wonderful having Abby here for Valentine's Day.

    Loving ya,

    Grammy Kiser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Baby Abby Grace...I love you and your parents with all my heart. I promise you will always be my little girl just like your Mom...
    Love and miss everyone so much! Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I've said it a hundred times already but I can't stop crying!!! I love beautiful baby Abby so much and am so glad that God has blessed you and John with such a perfect bundle of joy. I sure miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete